The Punchline

Monday, October 30, 2006

Interview with the Vampire(s)

A lot of things ran through my mind while conducting an interview with ESPN GameDay Analysts Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit: how diabolically handsome Kirk Herbstreit is up close , how amazingly funny Lee Corso is in real life, how much of an odd couple these two guys really are, etc. Most importantly, however, I was thinking how truly awesome it would be if I were actually conducting an interview with Corso and Herbstreit instead of just pretending to interview them. See, ESPN never replied to my request to talk with the two GameDay icons so I could only manage a mock interview consisting of me and two fake dummies. But I'm pretty sure the questions and answers I made up would be the same as if it happened in real life.

By the way, you may be wondering why I titled this piece "Interview with the Vampire(s)". It's partly because I felt anemic the next day and partly because this is an interview you can really sink your teeth into.

Me: Mr. Corso and Mr. Herbstreit, thank you for taking the time to answer some questions I have for you.

Lee Corso: No problem Jim, but please hurry because it's Eleven (PM). Way past my bedtime.

Me: It's James.

LC: Whatever.

Kirk Herbstreit: I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Me: How much did this win (Clemson over Georgia Tech) impress you?

KH: What a performance by the Tigers! Such dominance on the ground, but what really impressed me the most was the how the defense took Calvin Johnson out of the game.

Me: I think Reggie Ball had a lot to do with Johnson's lack of involvement.

KH: Well, that's a given.

LC: Man, was James Davis and C.J. Spiller amazing. Everytime they got the ball, they found a hole and "woosh!", they were off. Those are some faaast backs. That's why I picked Clemson to win.

KH: You always pick the home team to win.

LC: Not true. I only pick the home team, like, 9 out of 10 times. Anyways, Davis's and Spiller's speed reminded me of how fast I was as a linebacker at Florida State. That's why they nicknamed me "Sunshine Scooter."

KH: Scooters aren't fast.

LC: No, but sunshine is.

Me: Based on what you saw tonight, how far do you see Clemson going this season on a national scale?

KH: If they play like they did tonight for the rest of the season, I think they'll win the ACC and gain a BCS berth. But they could also be a one-loss team that could sneak up and be playing in the BCS Championship Game if a lot of teams lose ahead of them.

LC: Not so fast my friend! Be on the lookout for the University of Notre Dame! If there's a one-loss team that deserves a shot at the National Championship, it's those Fighting Irish! They have a great quarterback and a great coach, but most importantly, they have great intangibles.

Me: What Intangibles?

LC: They're Notre Dame! That's an intangible in itself. At least that's what the media has led me to believe.

Me: You are part of the media.

LC: And I'm excited to be part of the media! I am so excited I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore but I love speaking in this excited voice!

Me: Uh... Kirk, let me wrap it up with this final question: You were the first player to commit to Ohio State after John Cooper took over as Head Coach. What did you think of Coach Cooper?

KH: He's a wonderful coach... if you're a Michigan Wolverines fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home